Houston’s Ding’s Coleslaw is an important layer in their Ding’s Crispy Chicken Sandwich, but it’s a delicious and crisp coleslaw salad that is perfect on any sandwich or served as a side. Perfect addition to any summertime backyard cookout.
This is my adapted version of a recipe Bon Appetit published many years ago.
A copycat version of a delicious slaw served on Houston's Ding's Crispy Chicken Sandwich. Perfect slaw for any sandwich or side.
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons pickled relish, drained
- 1 Tablespoon buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 teaspoon country brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt prefer Diamond brand
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cup green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup savoy cabbage, finely shredded or red cabbage
- 1 cup baby kale leaves, finely julienned
- ¼ cup scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, pickle relish, buttermilk, prepared horseradish, brown mustard, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, salt and pepper.
Add cabbages, kale, scallions and parsley and toss to combine. Taste and reseason, if needed. Cover and chill.
Note: You can make the dressing up to three days ahead and keep refrigerated. Toss to combine with cabbage, kale, scallions and parsley to keep that crisp bite.